I’m interested in developing and implementing cutting-edge web applications for academic libraries, with a primary focus on library services platforms and discovery systems, and a secondary interest in digital library platforms. I bring to that task nearly 15 years of programming and interface design experience, coupled with a deep knowledge of library systems and how students and faculty use libraries.
Professional work experience
Director, Systemwide Digital Library Services
2012 – present, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Led the adoption and implementation of a shared library services platform and discovery system for the entire CSU, displacing 24 separate campus ILS and ERM systems.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of system-wide digital library platform using the Samvera framework.
Library Web Services Manager
2006 – 2012, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Designed, developed, and managed open source Xerxes discovery system.
- Developed system to fully automate the harvesting and indexing of data from Millennium, Voyager, Koha, and various institutional repository systems.
- Designed new interface for SFX link resolver, and developed scripts and plugins to integrate SFX with campus ILS systems.
- Assisted with system-wide implementation of Metalib federated search system, including troubleshooting connectors and mapping data.
- Assisted with the development of system-wide institutional repository using DSpace, including designing interfaces and developing data import conversion scripts.
Web Development Librarian
2002 – 2006, California State University, San Marcos
- Responsible for all aspects of the Library’s website and web applications.
- Undertook complete redesign of the site, including information architecture, graphic design, development, and usability testing.
- Developed custom modules and home-grown, database-driven applications.
- 2002 MLIS, University of California, Los Angeles
- 1997 BA History, California State University, San Bernardino
Programming, databases & indexing
Much of my programming work these days focuses on developing web applications in PHP using Symfony/Silex and jQuery. I’ve worked extensively with Solr and MySQL.
I think of myself as equal parts designer and programmer. I’m intimately familiar with HTML and CSS. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and numerous other applications for web design.
Library metadata, protocols & applications
In my work, I’ve delved deeply into MARC and other library metadata. I know more about Z39.50/SRU, OpenURL, and OAI-PMH than a normal person should. I’ve worked with a number of library systems, including Alma, Primo, Summon, Metalib, SFX, Illiad, ERes, DSpace, and Millennium.
- OCLC Research Contest Winner, 2009
- Elympics: Ex Libris Code Contribution Contest Winner, 2010
- LITA/Library Hi Tech Award for Outstanding Communication for Continuing Education in Library and Information Science, 2015