I’m interested in developing and implementing cutting-edge web applications for academic institutions, with a focus on digital repositories. I bring to that task nearly 18 years’ of programming and interface design experience, coupled with a deep knowledge of how students and faculty use digital library systems.
Professional work experience
Director, Systemwide Digital Library Services
2012 – present, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Overseeing the development and implementation of systemwide institutional repository and digital library platform using the Samvera framework.
Led the design and technical implementation of SkillsCommons OER repository.
- Led the adoption and implementation of a shared library services platform and discovery system for the entire CSU, displacing 24 separate campus ILS and ERM systems.
Library Web Services Manager
2006 – 2012, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
Designed, developed, and managed open source discovery system.
Assisted with the development of 18 campus institutional repositories using DSpace, including developing data pipeline conversion scripts.
Web Development Librarian
2002 – 2006, California State University, San Marcos
- Responsible for all aspects of the Library’s website and web applications.
- Undertook complete redesign of the site, including information architecture, graphic design, development, and usability testing.
- Developed custom modules and home-grown, database-driven applications.
- 2002 Master of Library & Information Science, University of California, Los Angeles
- 1997 Bachelor of Arts, History, California State University, San Bernardino
Programming, databases & indexing
- Extensive use of Symfony (MVC framework), Doctrine (ORM), Composer, Twig, jQuery, and numerous open source libraries.
- I’ve done a fair amount of programming in Ruby on Rails, Java, C#, and Perl to support existing systems.
- Worked extensively with Solr for indexing and faceted search.
- Used and managed MySQL and PostgreSQL databases in numerous projects.
- I think of myself as equal parts designer and programmer.
- Intimately familiar with HTML and CSS.
- Extensive use of Bootstrap
- Regularly use Photoshop and Illustrator in my design work.
- OCLC Research Contest Winner, 2009
- Elympics: Ex Libris Code Contribution Contest Winner, 2010
- LITA/Library Hi Tech Award for Outstanding Communication for Continuing Education in Library and Information Science, 2015