I’m interested in developing and implementing cutting-edge web applications for academic libraries, with a particular focus on library services platforms, discovery systems, and integration with learning management systems. I bring to that task nearly 15 years of programming and interface design experience, coupled with a deep knowledge of library systems and how students and faculty use libraries.
Master of Library & Information Science
2000-2002, University of California, Los Angeles
- Concentration in systems design, usability, and information architecture
- Coursework in computer programming
Bachelor of Arts, History
1993-1997, California State University, San Bernardino
- 4.0 GPA, summa cum laude
- Significant coursework in art, including computer graphic design
Programming, databases & indexing
Much of my programming work these days focuses on developing web applications in PHP using Symfony and jQuery. I do a bit of programming in Perl and Java to support existing systems. I’ve worked extensively with Solr and MySQL.
I think of myself as equal parts designer and programmer. I’m intimately familiar with HTML and CSS. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and numerous other applications for web design.
Library metadata, protocols & applications
In my work, I’ve delved deeply into MARC and other library metadata. I know more about Z39.50/SRU, OpenURL, and OAI-PMH than a normal person should. I’ve worked with a number of library systems, including Summon, Metalib, SFX, Illiad, ERes, DSpace, Millennium, and Voyager.
Professional work experience
Director, Systemwide Digital Library Services
2012 – present, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Leading the adoption and implementation of a shared library services platform and discovery system for the entire CSU, displacing 24 separate campus ILS systems and other local applications.
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and maintenance of system-wide link resolver, discovery system, and institutional repository project.
Library Web Services Manager
2006 – 2012, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Designed, developed, and managed open source Xerxes discovery system.
- Developed system to fully automate the harvesting and indexing of data from Millennium, Voyager, Koha, and various institutional repository systems.
- Designed new interface for SFX link resolver, and developed scripts and plugins to integrate SFX with campus ILS systems.
- Assisted with system-wide implementation of Metalib federated search system, including troubleshooting connectors and mapping data.
- Assisted with the development of system-wide institutional repository using DSpace, including designing interfaces and developing data import conversion scripts.
Web Development Librarian
2002 – 2006, California State University, San Marcos
- Responsible for all aspects of the Library’s website and web applications.
- Undertook complete redesign of the site, including information architecture, graphic design, development, and usability testing.
- Developed custom modules and home-grown, database-driven applications.
- OCLC Research Contest Winner, 2009
- Elympics: Ex Libris Code Contribution Contest Winner, 2010
- LITA/Library Hi Tech Award for Outstanding Communication for Continuing Education in Library and Information Science, 2015